Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:20 am, SnapafunFrank wrote:

Kaj Haulrich wrote:

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 19:44, Brett Lyon wrote:

After a recent routine update (urpmi.update -a;urpmi
--auto-select), I get this when calling K3B (from
anywhere):

[EMAIL PROTECTED] brett]# k3b
k3b: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libartskde.so.1:
undefined symbol:
_ZTv0_n28_N4Arts16SynthModule_stub11autoSuspendEv
[EMAIL PROTECTED] brett]#

Before the (blind) upgrade, K3B had been running great
for months.

When I trace back all the packages that ultimately
provide libartskde.so I find that a)they are all so
embedded in the core of KDE that an upgrade would be a
hefty undertaking and that b)now neither URPMI nor
drakconf work for any kind of directly KDE-related
(only) upgrade anyway (they both hang immediately), so
it would be a lot of plain old rpming or making.  Can
anybody suggest a way to begin troubleshooting this?
/var/log/messages, urpmi,  (etc.) shows nothing
significant.

system info:
MDK 10.1 OE, 2.6.8.1-12mdk, P4 2.66GHz, 512MB
KDE 3.2.3

I tried:

libk3b2-0.11.18-1.mdk10.1.thac
k3b-0.11.18-1.mdk10.1.thac

and:

k3b-0.11.16-3mdk
libk3b2-0.11.16-3mdk

Other wierd things are happening too, like my konsole
schema is gone, kicker crashes, xtraceroute hangs,
etc.  kde + urpmi = big mess.  How can a "proficient"
beginner avoid these non-productive time-wasters while
staying updated?

Thanks for any tips,
brett

Strange. I just upgraded 161 MB worth of KDE and xscreensaver
coming up today, but my k3b works OK. I noticed your command
: urpmi.update -a;urpmi --auto-select

                     ^   a space is needed here
 urpmi.update -a; urpmi --auto-select

and this semicolon shouldn't be there. Instead it is :
urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select

The difference between using ';' or '&&' is that the double ampersand says to the system, 'run this next command only if the previous one is successful.' Use of ';' doesn't use this precaution. Obviously '&&' should normally be preferred when the subsequent command(s) relies on the prior one(s).

My suggestion :  try again if your update is older than one
day. You might be able to get all the new stuff as of today.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.

Not sure, but it sounds like you tried to update with kde
running. I tried this once and ended up reinstalling from
scratch. Did the update one step at a time in the order
required for kde with xserver closed down and have had no
problems since. As I said - not sure if this is your problem or
not.

I run cooker. I update KDE almost daily, sometimes several times a day. Always with KDE and X running. In the past I've updated 'final' or 'community' or 'official' Mandrake versions, always from within KDE. I have no idea who or when this fallacious advice originated, ie, "logout from KDE and/or X to update". It simply isn't so.

This isn't Win$ux folks. What _is_ often needed is to update the system after the updates are installed, eg, I use an alias (as root), 'upall'
alias upall='rpm --rebuilddb && updatedb && ldconfig -v && update-menus -v -n'

Then log out and back into KDE to fully realize the updates. It's a good idea to use <Ctrl+Alt+BkSp> while logged out to restart the X server. Specially if updates were to X. If you're setup to auto-login to KDE, this step will auto log you back into KDE.

I do not doubt anything you have said here, and in fact I strive for the day when this is works fully for a dumb arse like me. It is just that when I update kde from rpm packages FULLY, I have yet to succeed with a successful installation without first logging out of X session.

AGAIN. I do not doubt you, it may well be that within text console, I have to be more observant and careful, therefore suceed this way. Time will tell I hope because I am through with playing with Linux, I now need to keep this box stable and in production for myself. Oh... I forgot, what is Windows again??

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213