On Saturday 15 Jan 2005 10:08 pm, Andy Yankovich wrote:
> When I start 10.1 I get the message "you may replace bluez's pin
> helper program with kbluepin; it is located in /user/lib/kdebluetooth
> now".
>
> How EXACTLY do I do this?
>
> What did it do and what will it do after the change?

It's bluetooth, the short range wireless thingy that talks to mobile
phones, (and other stuff, but mainly phones.) If you don't use it you
can very safely ignore the message.

The pin helper is the program that asks for a six(?) digit number when
pairing with a device. kbluepin will just ask for the number with a
nice window.

> Sorry if these questions are so basic. Maybe I do not belong in the
> Linux or perhaps the Mandrakelinux operating system. What do you
> think? Because I do not understand *anything* about programming,
> should I not use 10.1? Please be honest about this because I hate to
> bother you all with such basic questions.

1. that's not a basic question. As of 9.2, bluetooth was bleeding edge
technology in Linux. (It may be more mainstream in 10.1)

1a. We really don't care how basic a question is. This is the Newbie
list - many questions here are basic. We're happy to help.

2. You don't need to know anything about programming to use Linux, any
more than Windows.

2a. What knowledge you need, you'll pick up over the next few weeks
without noticing. The average time between someone appearing on this
list as a total newbie, and answering a question themselves is about a
month.

3. You need to know _less_ about computers to use Linux safely and
securely than you need to use Windows safely and securely.

3a. No viruses, little or no spyware, software designed to be secure
from the ground up and fantastic support.

> I am using a $12.99 set of six CDs. I have ordered the "packaged"
> 10.1 from MandrakeStore. When they arrive should I delete what is now
> installed, and then install the MandrakeStore CDs???? Will that be
> preferred?

What does the label say on those CDs?
If they are 10.1 Community Edition it may be worth upgrading. Since I am
still using 9.2 I'll let others tell you how worthwhile it is.

--
Richard Urwin