Julie Sloan wrote:
Hi all - -

I see this mentioned in the Cooker archives, May and December 2003, but if someone also posted a solution I either missed it or am too dense to recognize it for what it is.
FWIW the archive subject lines are:
[Cooker] urpmi bug or not? (probably something with virtual packages...) and
[Cooker] Re: [CHRPM] arts-1.1.2-2mdk

A couple days ago I commenced my first large update; also my first time using urpmi. With quite a bit of help on another forum, I worked through several problems, but now I seem stuck at:

=============================
kdebase is needed by krozat-10.1-3.1.101mdk
kdebase >= 3.1 is needed by kdenetwork-common-3.2.3-19.2.101mdk
=============================

So... now... should my next step be to locate & download the kdebase and the kdebase >=3.1, and if so, is there a particular download site that's recommended?

I'm on Mandrake 10.1

thanks,
Julie

Julie,
I think you're slightly misunderstanding the error messages. The first part tells you that krozat needs kdebase, but doesn't need any particular version of kdebase. The second part tells you that kdenetwork-common needs kdebase, and it must have a version of kdebase that is greater than or equal to 3.1 - so to satisfy the needs of both krozat and kdenetwork-common, you only need to have one kdebase package, but it must be >= 3.1.

First, check what version of kdebase you have installed - if any! Open the Mandrake Control Center, go to the Software Management section, select Remove (don't worry, we're not going to actually remove anything, but if something appears in the Remove list it must have been installed in the first place!), make sure the radio button for "All packages, alphabetical" is checked, then scroll down the list to see if there's a kdebase package. If there is, what is the exact version listed?

Then, report back here...

Mine says kdebase-3.2.3-134.4.101mdk - yours, if you have one at all, might be different but should be in the same format.

On another list you mentioned that you bought the Mandrake CDs last summer - as 10.1 didn't exist then, are the CDs for 10.0? Because you now say you're running 10.1 - did you just install 10.0 from the CDs and then set your urpmi sources for version 10.1? This would account for the huge volume of "updates" you've been getting, and might also explain some of the problems you've been having.

--
Regards
Margot