Aron Smith wrote:
On Friday 21 January 2005 08:42 am, Julie Sloan wrote:
Aron Smith wrote:
On Thursday 20 January 2005 09:26 pm, Julie Sloan wrote:

Julie if I may chime in get 10.0 right first then try upgrading to 10.1
much easier BTW do you have broadband ?

What I've done is in my ignorance begun updating 10.1 when what I had was six-month-old 10.0 installed from discs. The 10.0 was fine :( until I messed it up with this "update." Now it's all screwed up. Where do I begin to fix it? I'm sure what I have now is part 10.0 and part 10.1 and missing some vital parts of each due to conflicts and/or dependencies. Where do I start??

put your 10.0 disk in and choose upgrade ..this should resolve *some* of your problems the main problem is that 10 and 10.1 can and often do use different kernel versions

Thanks Aron, I did that; had one message during install saying graphical interface would not be configured, the rest went quickly. Rebooted and everything looked as it did before; still can't access KMail nor MCC. On reboot got a crash message:

Soundserver - the KDE Crash Handler
Soundserver (artsd) crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT)

What do I do next; see about 10.0 updates at easyurpmi?

I would set up my urpmi sources for 10.0 at
http://www.urpmi-addmedia.org/
or
http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
and make shure you have main contrib and updates plf and jpackage will also be usefull
(it is a learning experience isn't it) :-D

Yes it is!  Everything seemed to go fine for a while, I did the following:

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/10.1 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia jpackage http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.update -a --no-md5sum && urpmi --auto-select && rpm --rebuilddb && updatedb && update-menus -n && ldconfig -v

and each media gave me this:

unable to take medium "jpackage" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.jpackage] exists

then when all looked done, this happened:

...retrieving done
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]
unable to take medium "jpackage" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.jpackage] exists
One of the following packages is needed:
1- postfix-2.1.4-2mdk.i586
2- sendmail-8.13.1-1mdk.i586
3- masqmail-0.2.18-3mdk.i586
4- ssmtp-2.60.7-1mdk.i586
What is your choice? (1-4) 2
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (6 MB):
perl-URPM-1.03-2.1.101mdk.i586
popt-1.8.2-15mdk.i586
rpm-4.2.2-15mdk.i586
urpmi-4.5-29.1.101mdk.noarch
Is this OK? (Y/n)

fine so far, but then !!!!!AAACK!!!!!!

restarting urpmi
One of the following packages is needed:
1- masqmail-0.2.18-3mdk.i586 : Offline Mail Transfert Agent (to install)
2- ssmtp-2.60.7-1mdk.i586 : A minimal mail-transfer agent which forwards mail to an SMTP server. (to install)
3- postfix-2.1.4-2mdk.i586 : Postfix Mail Transport Agent (to install)
4- sendmail-8.13.1-1mdk.i586 : A widely used Mail Transport Agent (MTA) (to install)
What is your choice? (1-4) 4
To satisfy dependencies, the following 556 packages are going to be installed (1088 MB):

I am on dialup. 22Mb takes an hour and a half. Do I need 1088 additional Mb??????