From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help patching kernel
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:19:03 +0000

On Monday 24 January 2005 01:04, Mike Chalmers wrote:
SNIP

> >Unless you like to go through the pain you will be better using urpmi to
> >install kernel. Try to find kernel rpm on rpm repository and urpmi it.
> >--
> >Yankl
> >Tiny IT guy.
> >100 % Micro$oft free.
> >Registered linux users 181086
> >To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
> >box, you just need to work on it.

> When you say pain do you mean running multiple commands to install the
> patch? If so, I would like to do it that way. I do not know much about the
> urpmi yet and I only want to patch the kernel? So if you or someone else
> will tell me how to patch it using commands that would be great?
>
> From,
>
> Mike Chalmers

There are instruction on compiling new kernels in the manual
http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux/100/en/Command-Line.html/compiling-kernel-chapter.html

But be aware Mandrake apply lots of patches to the standard kernel.org kernel
and if you use a standard kernel you might find bits of your system may not
work quite the same.

Is there a particular reason you want 2.6.10 or is it just for fun?

BTW: The latest Mandrake kernel for 10.1 is 2.6.8.1-12mdk and 2.6.10.1-1-1mdk
is on the development 'cooker' mirrors.
Installing 'Cooker' packages is not advised on a production system as they can
have nasty bugs and may require an awful lot of dependencies.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

So you are saying that there is not a Mandrake 2.6.10 kernel yet? I have an ATI 9800 video card and it is very very slow with the fglrx driver installed. I thought patching the kernel might could fix this slow problem.
From,
Mike Chalmers