Michaël Van Dorpe wrote:

I just removed Openoffice 1.1.3 from my system, downloaded the latest 1.9.etc snapshot and installed it.

I found out I can open Openoffice by Alt-F2 'soffice'. However, this is a pure coincidence that I found out about this. What is the right way to find out about this? Is there a list of all the Alt-F2 names of the programs installed on my computer?

Alt-F2 is just a KDE convenience so that you can run anything you can run from the command line. There is no such thing as Alt-F2 names. If you can run it from the command line, you can run it from Alt-F2.

Also, is there a way to go to let's say OOImpress directly? 'ooimpress' is not the right choice...

It is the correct choice for version 1.1.4. I don't know about 1.9. You will have to find out how is it called in 1.9 by looking at your installation.

A different problem... I did urpmi thunderbird, to find out that that installed the 0.8 version. Is it normal that urpmi gives software that is (a little) outdated?

It is not a problem, just a reality of the fast changing world of open source. Once a distribution is released, the vendor (in this case Mandrake) will not update the packages to the latest and greatest unless it is part of the main distribution (i.e. not contributors, test, club, etc.) and has a security issue that needs to be fixed. In some cases the fixes will be back ported so you will not even get the latest version until some future release of the distribution.

In some cases you have alternatives to the Mandrake packages. In the case of Firefox, you can find the 1.0 release through the great packaging job of Charles E. Edwards. Go to http://www.eslrahc.com/ for more information.

Avi

--
Avi Schwartz
http://public.xdi.org/=avi.schwartz

When you have robbed a man of everything, he is no longer in your power. He is
free again.

-- Alexander Solzhenitsyn