Right. I've done all of that, however.

It's gone a little, erm, odd.

In "Network Neighborhood" on both windows machines what was the machine name
within the group "MDKGroup" has now changed into my workgroup (YorkCov) with
the machine name changed to

Samba Server 3.0.10 ( <yorkcov (linux)

But clicking on it which should reveal the share gives a message

\\<yorkcov (linux is not accessable

The compuer or sharename could not be found..... etc etc.

Now, I think I'm correct in saying those extra \ < ( characters shouldnt be in
there, but I can't find out where they are.  The machine name should be
Saratoga, the workgroup is Linux and the Samba share should be called Shared
Drive.

Oh, and it crashed earlier. Was reading through the Smb.conf file and then it
stopped responding. Alas.

And, if that wasn't enough the web interface for Samba doesn't work. I don't
know if it didn't work before though because I hadn't been there.

http://localhost:901/  gives
An error occurred while loading http://localhost:901/:

Could not connect to host localhost (port 901)

More reading is required, but if anyone has any ideas of where I have, ahem,
broke it, please suggest it so I can go and have a look....

Cheers,

Elwyn

Trying... Very Trying.... :)