On Monday 24 January 2005 02:01 pm, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> It would appear that on Jan 18, et did say:
> > my guess is either you set your msec level to high, or you have /root on
> > some filesystem that  it does not like, or you split some files or
> > partitions where they should not be.
> >

> > on msec,  standard is good for the install, don't go to paraniod until
> > you are set up and then only if you are setting a server up for a bank.
> > try this, when lilo starts, hit esc and type in 'linux 1' when that
> > starts, type msec 3 then enter, then msec 2 then enter then 'reboot' then
> > enter. that should cure it if the problem is msec.
>
> => Note: due to MY error in forgetting to zap my "Reply-To:"
> =>       in the original post, I don't think "et"'s message
> =>       reached the list... So I used "bounce" from pine to
> =>       put it there... If that wasn't appropriate, please
> =>       let me know... Thanks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

sure  does not bother _me_
> When you say msec... from my working Fedora install: "# which msec"
> doesn't find anything...
from man msec:
It is "msec - Mandrake security tools"

> http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=msec&Find=Fi
>nd listed two likely meanings... "message security", or "multicast
> security"... Though I suspect it's more like "Mandrake security" And would
> probably be what I thought was the firewall settings during the install
> process???
not firewall, but a script that runs as a cron job to make sure no permissions
are changed on files where they should not be, among other things...

> If so, then I definitely told the installer to use "standard"
hopefully the standard was msec, did you happen to see the opther options, was
one "paranoid"

> I can't immediately test if I could have made linux 1 work as I already
> replaced the problem install with an archived mdk 8.2 installation and
> used the update install to get a bootable but very buggy MDK 10.1
> instalation... But if I give up trying to get that working right I'll
> try another clean install and if the problem resurfaces I'll try your
> suggestion... I wish I'd have remembered to try single user mode before
> I gave up on it... (Sometimes I think I suffer from CRS {Can't Remember
> Shi^H^H^HStuff} <grin>)
>
> As to the likelihood of your other guesses, I never let a new install
> span more than one partition. If it works, I might split it up later.
>
> I told the installer to put the whole filesystem "/" in /dev/hda4
>
> If anyone can see a good reason in this fdisk output why MDK 10.1
> wouldn't "like" "/" & "/root" on /dev/hda4, please do tell...

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jtwdyp]# fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1         638     5124703+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/hda2             639        1217     4650817+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/hda3            1218        3162    15623212+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda4            3163        4865    13679347+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda5             639        1021     3076416    b  W95 FAT32
> /dev/hda6            1022        1148     1020096   83  Linux
> /dev/hda7            1149        1217      554211   82  Linux swap
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jtwdyp]#

how about 'df'?
and 'cat /etc/fstab'?
and 'cat /etc/mtab'
while we are asking for more info...
did you say this was on a box with other linux installs?

--
linux counter #167806 (http://counter.li.org/)
website="http://ed-tharp.kicks-ass.org";