Mike;
     If you'd follow up on the information you got in your "What Is URPMI?"
thread, you'd be able to "urpmi kernel" and have a selection of kernels to
install (which would install next to whatever kernel you're currently
running.)  Everything from kernels optimized for memory above 1 gig, 4 gig,
or 64 gig, or optimized for multimedia or motherboards with multiple
processors.

The easiest way to do all of this is to install some urpmi sources (in other
words, mirrors from which to download these kernels) using the easyurpmi site
(http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ , then follow directions).  Then open up the
Mandrake Control Center, click on Software Management, then Install.  After
you get a listing of the packages available in the left window, search for
"kernel" by typing it into the box, then selecting "search".  Voila, you've
got a list of the various pre-compiled kernels available.  If you see one you
like, put a check in the box next to it, and select "install".  The software
takes it from there.

I think you originally asked about patching the kernel.  Sorry, I can't help
you there.  If you're wanting to compile from scratch, you'll need to google
for instructions.  That's beyond this list, and is not necessarily for the
faint of heart.

Cheers;

Glenn

On Monday 24 January 2005 09:15 am, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> Will someone tell me how to install only the kernel from www.kernel.org?
>
>             From,
>
>              Mike Chalmers

17:20:24 up 2 days, 1:07, running Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for
i586, kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk
Registered Linux user #324360

All my friends and I are crazy.  That's the only thing that keeps us sane.