On Tuesday 25 January 2005 01:01, Andy Yankovich wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2005 06:43 pm, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > On Monday 24 January 2005 23:31, Andy Yankovich wrote:
> > SNIP
> >
> > >  I have tried to install
> > > Opera from The Club and failed miserably - undoubtedly due to
> > > my lack of know-how.
> >
> > If you want Opera just click here :-
> > http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=26339&location=122&noth
> >anks=yes&sub=marine
> >
> > That will download Opera 8.0 for Mandrake 10.1 (Its a beta
> > version but it works great)
> >
> > Click on the download with konqueror and it will install. You
> > will be prompted for your root password.  Ignore any messages
> > about unknown signatures. That just means it was not packaged
> > by MandrakeSoft.
> >
> > derek
>
> After downloading I clicked on 'open destination', put in
> my password for root, then a Konqueror window opened with
> 'file:/var/tmp/kdecache-andy/krun/' in the location bar. Now, how
> do I get the program to run? I tired clicking on the URL but
> nothing happens. What did I do wrong or what don't I understand?
>
> Appreciate your help very much.
> Andy

Maybe I should have tested that link before cut and pasting it.
Try http://www.opera.com/download/?ver=8.0b1  Make sure the Linux tab is
selected, and use the drop down box to select Mandrake, then select 10.1 and
pick a download site.

It should download a file called
opera-8.0-20050104.5-shared-qt.i386-en.rpm
clicking on that with konqueror will install Opera.

I cannot remember if Opera automatically creates a menu entry. If it does an
Opera icon will appear in your menu under Internet>Web Browsers  (It can take
a minute or so)
If no icon appears then hit Alt+F2 and type 'opera' in the drop down box to
launch Opera, and you can use menudrake (In Mandrake Control Centre) to
create your own menu item.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net