On Monday 24 January 2005 10:39 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2005 07:41 pm, SOTL wrote:
> > On Monday 24 January 2005 06:31 pm, Andy Yankovich wrote:
> > > Please, do not assume this is apostasy.
> > >
> > > What are the main differences between SUSE Pro 9.2 and Mandrake
> > > 10.1?
> >
> > 9.2 is installable in thinkpads with out modification 10.1 is not
>
> Can you clarify what you mean, 10.1 is running great on my Thinkpad.
>
> > 9.2 uses KDE 3.1 10.1 uses KDE 3.2 which has close x on tab windows which
> > cause you to accidentally close the screen all the time.
> >
> > Other than than for usage not much. If you have 9.2 working personally I
> > don't believe it is worth the effort to upgrade unless you enjoy
> > upgrading.
>
> I think he is comparing SUSE 9.2 to Mandrake 10.1, not Mandrake 9.2 to
> Mandrake 10.1.
Well if that is what you need.

With SuSE 9.2 it will not install on a IBM Thinkpad without modification.
There are issues with which driver is correct, one may find out which screen
is installed for which Thinkpad by questions on the Thinkpad BB or from IBM
but in general this information like the internals of almost all laptops is
unknown, also issues with networking configuration and wireless configuration
if you attempt to configure the system with out having those inputs connect
at time of installation. Then of course there are issues with YEST2 if
someone desire to do anything slightly different than SuSE perscribed path.
Other than that SuSE is a great distribution with the latest in programs.
Meanwhile back at Mandrake one is stuck with KDE 3.2 instead of the latest
KDE 3.3 a screwed installation from Mandrake 9.2 which is extremely better
than SuSE 9.2 and a host of other half ass issues such as missing critical
files required to run desired programs. In short SuSE is put together better
but has major installation issues while Mandrake install easily but has major
issues with having everything needed to run a program installed. So you have
a choice of do you want immeate installation and later repairs or immediate
repairs and then stability.

Frank