Stephen Kühn wrote:
On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 11:39, Andy Yankovich wrote:

Hi Stephen,
Before the file installed a message said it hd bad signatures. I clicked install anyway. (1) should I have not gone ahead with installation?
(2) what does "bad signatures" mean?
Andy

The "bad signature" error is usually because either the rpm isn't signed with a gpg key, or it is and you don't have the key.

There should have been something in the error message saying something like "MD5 OK" and something more on the key.

If the MD5 is bad, don't install as the rpm is corrupted. If the key is missing, you have no way of knowing if the rpm is legit. If you know and trust the site, decide if you want to install it. Usually there are keys to be installed for any repository doing much with rpms. If so, just install the keys.

The keys are there to make sure that no modified rpm gets slipped into your system under the guise an official or trusted one.

It doesn't sound like you did any damage. Just be sure of the source of any rpm you decide to install, and evaluate the risks from there.

Rick Kunath