Thanks to everyone who helped with my recent Mozilla problem (under the header "locked directory").

...for the record, Mozilla-1.7.5 _will_ run under Mandrake 10.0. The urpmi sources I found for this version of Mozilla were all Mandrake 10.1 specific, so I found it easiest to download the 12Mb tar.gz here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

I used Konqueror to download the tarball to my desktop, and proceeded in a terminal in this manner:

$su
$(my password)
(sign in as root)
#mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.5
(make a directory to place the installer in permanently)
#mv ~/Desktop/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.5-installer.tar.gz /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.5/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.5-installer.tar.gz
(move the downloaded file to that directory)
#cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.5
(go there - probably an unnecessary step, but saves typing the full path every time; this also enables me to run "ls -a" to find the exact name of the file I want to manipulate)
#tar -zxvf ./mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.5-installer.tar.gz
(unpacked the tarball, which created "mozilla-installer" directory within /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.5)
#cd ./mozilla-installer
(moved into that directory - probably unnecesssary, see above)
#./mozilla-installer
(this command ran the installer, which asked if I'd like to place mozilla in /usr/local/mozilla to which I replied yes)
#cd /usr/local/mozilla
(I followed the mozilla stuff to its new home)
#./mozilla
(ran the program for the first time, as root, which is necessary for some reason. Note: I did not set up any preferences, mail account, etc as root but instead logged out and logged back in as user to set up the mozilla account.)

please see:

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html

for more explanations and FAQ.

hth someone, sometime.

Julie

--

"...but the learning curve is like, straight up." - - overheard in a newbie forum