From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help patching kernel
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:13 +0000

On Thursday 27 January 2005 06:47, Mike Chalmers wrote:
SNIP

> I clicked on the link you posted for the 2.6.8 kernel. I then clicked on
> the file kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm and the download box
> appeared. It gave me the option to "Open with the default application
> (Software Installer)". Is that what I should click on?

Yes

> Also, I don't think urpmi is installed on my computer. When I check for it
> there is urpmq and urpmf. How do I get urpmi installed on the computer?
> Thnks.
>
> Mike Chalmers

In Linux all system commands are only available to the system administrator
(root user). We call this 'security'. A word that will be unfamiliar to
anyone coming from a Windows environment ;-)

When you use the graphical software installer it will prompt you for the root
password so it can invoke urpmi on your behalf.
When using urpmi on the command line you must become root user first with the
command 'su' (SuperUser).

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

Thank you both. I went to the web site
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/10.1/i586/media/main/ , that Derek recomended. I tried to install several of the 2.6.8 kernel's and I get this message-

Some package requested cannot be installed:
kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk-1-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied bootloader-utils[>= 1.9])
do you agree ?

I then tried to install one of the 2.4 kernels and it installed fine. So I do not know what to do?

From,
Mike Chalmers