Julie Sloan wrote:

Pablo Ortuzar wrote:

On Saturday 29 January 2005 19:06, Julie Sloan wrote:

If you are connecting with a modem rather than LAN then you don't use the eth0. I *think* eth0 referes to LAN. If you are connected despite the "FAILED", then you don't need the eth0 to start at boot.

Hi,

eth0 is your ethernet (computer network) card. Since you can have several ethernet cards, they're numbered: eth0, eth1, etc. If you have only one card, then it's eth0. The network ethernet cards can connect to are
1) the Internet
2) a local area network (LAN)
In order to connect to the Internet (I assume it's what you want), you must previously
1) configure your ethernet card
2)set up your connection.
Select "Configure your computer". You'll be asked for your root password. Choose "Network and Internet", then "New connection". Depending on your connection, choose "modem", "ISDN", "ADSL", "Cable", "LAN" or "Wireless" .
Connection can be set up to be started on demand or -always- at boot.

Hi
Thank you Pablo for the explanation. Now I have a question: when I open kppp and choose "configure," my modem device is shown as /dev/ttyS0.

/dev/ttyS0 is the Linux equivelent of Windows COM1. It is the first serial port. The other common way to tell programs what port to do is to tell them to use /dev/modem. If things are set up correctly, this should be a sym-link to the "real" modem device.

How is that the same or different from eth0 ? I am using an external modem since my Winmodem wouldn't configure for Mandrake10.0.

They are different peices of hardware. To confuse things further, then actule network connection kppp sets up will show up as ppp0. (Point to Point Protocal) Kppp sets up the PPP connection "on the fly", and does not create network scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

Also, when I go to MCC > Network and Internet > Make New Connection, on the second or third screen I am asked to choose my provider, which shows a bunch of European providers but none so far as I can tell, that apply to me.

Are you trying to set up a modem connection, or one of the other types of PPP connections? I don't remember MCC asking for my ISP when I set up a modem connection. But my memory isn't as good as it used to be...

I do not have a problem connecting, just a problem understanding this method of setting up a new connection.

thanks,
Julie