njcross wrote:

I've been working with little HD space and I've run out and didn't
check before I closed down the computer.Now I can't reach kde so I can
delete some files.How do I do this outside kde?

Nev

If the machine boots to the GUI login, hit Ctrl-Alt-F1. You can log in as root there, and free up some space. If you don't leave the machine on at night, and you don't run anacron, then the first thing I would do is run "logrotate". This should free up a fair amount of space from your log files. They tend to get a bit large after a while, if you don't get rid of old log entries. Logrotate takes care of this.

If this doesn't give you enough free space to log in as a normal user, and clean things up, then you can take a look at the tmp directory and see if you can delete some files there. You may also use urpme to delete some packages that you don't use...

You can also try to log in as your normal user, and delete files in your home directory using the "rm" command. It depends on how full things realy are. Even when there is no space available to normal users, there is some reserved for root.

Another method is to boot from one fo the "live" CDs, and go in and clean things up. But this depends on you already having one, or havign a way to download and burn one without using the Linux machine...

Mikkel