I was able to get in as root at the command prompt.
Then  ls'd the root directory and rm'd loads of files.
Thankfully it worked after I had rm'd about 30 files!
Serves me right playing around with ardour.It can create large snd files.

I had to rm file by file and the permissions wouldn't allow me to rm folders
although I was root. How can I change permissions for root?

I tried logrotate but didn't know what command to use.
From the command how do you get in using failsafe mode?

One last question: where can I find out about the "Live" CDs? That seems to be
the safest bet.

Thanks very much everyone,
Nev