On Sunday 30 January 2005 08:28 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Sunday 30 January 2005 03:45 pm, Mike Adolf wrote:
> > Just installed 10.1 Official on a compac preserio.  The installation
> > video appeared normal during installation, but when I rebooted I just got
> > a black screen.  How does one even begin to solve that kind of problem?
> >
> > Mike
>
> Put the first CD in and reboot, then choose the upgrade 10.1 and let it go
> to the last screen, then choose screen resolution and try resetting to a
> lower color  setting like 16bpp or less, run a test and see if you get the
> rainbow. If so you will have a useable config and you can go to finish. and
> reboot.

Thanks for the reply.  I did as you suggested.  The resolution was at 1024x786
(or something like that) and the color was already set at 16bpp, which was
the smallest of available choices. I change the resolution to 1024x480, the
next smaller choice.  After reboot, KDE came up, but the smaller resolution
is unworkable.  I used harddrake to reset it back to 1024x786, rebooted, and
got the same black screen.  This is a dual boot with XP and XP works fine
with the higher res.  I have another monitor to try, but if that doesn't do
it, I guess that 10.1 doesn't work with the graphics card, Intel 185.

Mike