On Saturday 05 February 2005 06:04 pm, john wrote:
> I have a nvidia xfx graphics card that I cannot get to work properly. I
> installed the proprietary driver from nvidia. I started x right after
> installation and it worked fine. When rebooting though, it would not
> load the driver. I saw the os drivers listed but didn't see any "read
> me" on what to install and how to configure the xorg.conf file. Nvidia's
> driver worked ok with 10.0 and the xf86 system. I need the 1.0-6629
> driver. Using the os drivers, do i install the nvidia glx and nvidia
> kernel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> john

Make sure you have nvidia in the file etc/modprobe.preload

It might be the only entry in the file. If it isn't there add it in lower case
to the bottom of the file.

The Nvidia driver needs to be preloaded.

Here are the contents of my own modprobe.preload file:
---------------------------
# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY
# for old kernel use /etc/modules

nvidia
via-agp

You may not have the via-agp part, but you need the nvidia entry.

Rick Kunath