Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

SnapafunFrank wrote:

Basically, I have two hdd's with the now slave having suffered my first attempts at Linux and of course, the last 9x going [ WinMe }.

I can boot into WinMe without any hassles whatsoever but am unable to get lilo.conf right to boot into the old linux9.1 OS I have also installed on that hdd.

Latest attempt:

other=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2 [ My boot partition on this hdd ]
label="linux90"
table=/dev/hdb
image=/boot/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hdb5
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
vga=788
read-only

I have tried " other=/dev/hdb2 " ( my boot partition on this drive ) and tried also " other=/dev/hdb2 " [ WinMe starts out as " other=/dev/hdb1 "]

I have made sure that vmlinuz and initrd.img exist on that boot partition still.

I added the " table=/dev/hdb " but still no go.

So someone want to slap me over the wrist for being dump here somewhere?

Dumb question time - Is this lilo.conf you are working with on the second hard drive? Was the drive /dev/hdb when you installed Linux on it, or did you just have the drive with Linux on it in the machine when you installed it, and added back the Windows drive? Or do you have both Linux and Windows on the first drive, and you are trying to boot a second Linux install from the second drive?

Mikkel

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you folk but hopefully I can make up for it now.

First my lilo.conf [ Note: this is on my master hdd and is booting Mandrake10 Official and then of course my WinMe which is on the slave hdd.]

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot and reconfigured by SnapafunFrank.
# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="windows"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=200
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz263
       label="linux263"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd263.img
       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       vga=788
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz2610
       label="linux2610"
       root=/dev/hda5
       vga=788
       append=" noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       initrd=/boot/initrd2610.img
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz267
       label="linux267"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd267.img
       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       vga=788
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz263
       label="linux-nonfb263"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd263.img
       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz2610
       label="linux-nonfb2610"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd2610.img
       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz267
       label="linux-nonfb267"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd267.img
       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz263
       label="failsafe263"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd263.img
       append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz2610
label="failsafe2610"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd2610.img
       append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz267
       label="failsafe267"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd267.img
       append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
       read-only
other=/dev/hdb1
       label="windows"
       table=/dev/hdb
       map-drive=0x80
          to=0x81
       map-drive=0x81
          to=0x80
image=/boot/vmlinuz2422
       label="linux2422"
       root=/dev/hda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd2422.img
       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       read-only
#other=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2
#       label="linux90"
#       table=/dev/hdb
#       image=/boot/vmlinuz
#       root=/dev/hdb5
#       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
#       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
#       vga=788
#       read-only
image=/boot/memtest-1.11.bin
       label="memtest-1.11"
       read-only

Hope someone is suitably impressed ~ I can boot the lot seen here (other than the system on the slave hdd) albeit that except for linux263, the others are only to text consoles at the moment because I have yet to compile the new nVidia drivers as I have done for the 2.6.3-7 kernel.

And oh yeah - haven't convinced Jan yet so the default is still Windows - got to get my LAN started so that she can play her cards on Linux without probably knowing it initially. No, she ain't dumb, I'm just being a little sneaky is all.

Anyway, back to my problem.

I do not believe that starting out with " image=/boot/vmlinuz " will not work because there is nothing in that to tell lilo to find the image on the slave (hdb) drive. Please correct me if'n I'm wrong here!

To explain how I got WinMe to work you need to understand that windows must think it's in control, hence the 'map' entries - I turn things on for windows then turn them off again ~ enough to fool windows into believing it is in control.

So, though starting with "other-" may not be the way, I need to tell lilo where to find the image I want it to use, and that critter is in the boot partition on hdb which the current system sees as " /mnt/hdb2_boot ". Lilo of course would see it as /dev/hdb2.

Basically, lilo needs to be pointed at that partition the moment I select it as an option.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213