On February 12, 2005 09:05, Michel Leunen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I want to launch konqueror as a web browser (the icon near the
> mandrake star in the taskbar), nothing happens.
> Trying to launch konqueror from a console, I got this error message:
>
> $ konqueror webbrowsing
> konqueror: relocation error: /usr/lib/kde3/khtml_kget.so: undefined
> symbol: _ZN13KToggleAction15setCheckedStateERK8KGuiItem
>
> What's going wrong here?
>
> Michel

I ran into these types of things recently, though it was mostly my fault. I
had in the past grabbed a number of useful rpms from Thac's site
(http://rpm.nyvalls.se/). So I thought it would be a good idea to define him
as an urpmi source.

Then, when I do updates, rather than the recommended:

urpmi --update --auto-select

to get just the updates published by Mandrake, I do:

urpmi --auto-select

to the get most recent versions of all files I run (livin' on the edge 8^).
Well, this ended up getting new versions of many packages from Thac, and most
if not all of them were broken. When I tried to start a program from the
menu, nothing would happen. From the command line I would always get an
"undefined symbol" error similar to the one you showed above.

I removed the offending urpmi source, and was fixing these one at a time, by
doing an urpme to remove broken packages, and an urpmi to reinstall. But in
the end, there were too many of them, and I just reinstalled Mandrake.

I know it's unlikely that you made the same series of mistakes I did. But
perhaps you got some broken packages from some source. You could try the
following, after making sure you only have proper Mandrake urpmi sources
defined:

su
urpmi.update -a
urpme konqueror
urpmi konqueror

At worst, it will leave you in the same state you're in now. At best it might
help.

--
Ron
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine.

"As you know, necessity is the mother of invention.
I don't know who the father is. Remorse, I guess." - Red Green