I've never heard of an external modem being problematic, so I'm sure you/we
will find the answer. Meanwhile, there is a thread
http://dot.kde.org/1108262996/ in which there is the statement 'For those
interested, an overview of KPPP including screenshots is available.' I
suggest that you visit that thread and ask how to get that overview. It may
be helpful to you.

Anne

Yes - the information I read everywhere in linux is: that external hardware modems work fine.
I've printed the info from the link you gave me - so here's hoping.
I did find a posting in linuxquestions forums though, which mentioned a person having problems with an external modem in Mdk 10.1, which worked fine in 10. Maybe a bug?
Don't know enough to comment really.
Rosemary