Kaj Haulrich wrote:
On Wednesday 16 February 2005 05:21, BJ Tracy wrote:

Hello All,

I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 and placed the tar.gz in my home
directory, did the tar and installed it.  However during the
install it was placed in my directory.

Where should all the files go so my gui will know where it is?

It seems you didn't follow the easy way, namely to "urpmi mozilla-firefox", but downloaded the tarball from the Mozilla.org site. In that case, it doesn't matter where the tarball is extracted, but in order to install it system-wide (i.e. accessible to all users) you'll have to become root. During this setup you will be prompted to choose a location for the executables. A clever choice might be /usr/lib or /usr/local. After the install completes, run it first time as root (I think that's automatic).

After that, you can add it to your menu with the menu editor.

Kaj Haulrich.

Programs you install this way really should get installed in ether the /usr/local tree of the /opt tree. Personal preference is /usr/local/firefox. But as others have pointed out, using urpmi takes care of it for you. It also simplifies upgrading.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!