Hello Stephen,

Saturday, February 19, 2005, 3:26:27 PM, Stephen wrote:

SK> There is a growing angst towards M$ - and I'm getting to see it
SK> "on the streets". Many small biz owners and home owners (from 35
SK> and above) are getting sick of the constant cycle of upgrading.

Wait till M$ goes into 'rental mode'. You'll have to upgrade to even
run it at all. DRM at its best. :-((

SK> The folks that build his applications have forced him to upgrade
SK> as well.

Those of us who HAVE to run Win-only apps REEEEEALLY hate that!

SK> He's not the only one. I have a heap of customers that are sick of
SK> their machines being down or useless due to
SK> bugs/virus/trojans/spyware...the only think keeping them down is
SK> their teenagers who are "hooked" on things like MSN and the
SK> likes...

The biggest factor I see is fear and doubt. Many people can barely run
Windows, and that took some doing to learn. They are scared to death
to try something different. The 'techie' reputation of linux does NOT
help this at all. I've had better luck with people just starting out.
They just learn Mandrake instead of Windows, and like it. We REALLY
need to get linux into schools!! [That's why M$ is so 'generous' in
giving software to schools.]

SK> (GAIM does still have a way to go).

True.... Hurry, guys... :-)))

SK> I'm hoping that by the time Longborn hits the streets, I'll have a
SK> nice comfy permanent job somewhere in a linux/unix environment.

Sounds good - best wishes to you with that.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]