On Monday 21 Feb 2005 18:14, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Sunday 20 February 2005 10:53 pm, Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:
> > I need a new mouse and have to say I am becoming very confused about
> > linux compatibility.  Currently using a MS trackball one which works
> > using PS2 but it is driving me mad as the ball gets so dirty and sticks
> > all the time. I want to try optical.  A4 NB30 optical mouse (USB) was
> > recommended in a local store so I bought it home to try it out but
> > mandrake seems to hate it!
> >
> > If I attempt to boot with it plugged in the boot stalls.  If I boot then
> > attempt to run hardDrak to see if it will detect, again it stalls.  Same
> > thing if I go to Control Centre and Hardware.  It is a nice light little
> > mouse so would be good to get it going.  Is it likely to be too hard for
> > a newbie?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rosemary
> >
> > I have been reading the vim tutorial and practising a little so beginning
> > to get some clues I hope!
>
> Rosemary, an easy way if you can not run without the system hanging, is to
> put the DVD or CD1 into your device whichever it may be and boot from the
> cd or dvd.  Choose the  install and then upgrade and let it run without
> choosing anything but continue up to the last screen with all the
> "configure buttons" choose the mouse button and select "universal ps/2 or
> usb mouse" and then finish out of the upgrade. Take out the CD/DVD and it
> should boot with the mouse functioning. HTH

Tried that and had no luck.  So tried the other options and ended by having to
brutal reboot as it just hung after choosing USB mouse and trying the test.
When I chose the universal ps/2 or usb the test didn't work.

When I got back to linux the display was weird and if I moved the mouse (old
one) it wiped out what was on the desktop. Rebooted and noticed another line
added to lilo, comprised of numbers.  Ignored it, rebooted and got weird
behaviour above.  Rebooted again, into the number entry and everything
working.
I'm asuming Mandrake saved the old settings or something as a backaup?
Doesn't solve the mouse problem though.  Back to the store to buy a known
product!

Rosemary