On Feb 20, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Melissa Allen wrote:

prerequisites for installation, I've discovered that I do not know what "kernel source headers" are. [...]

Hugh Dixon wrote:

The kernel source can be installed using urpmi. I think if you do a search for files named "kernel-source" they will appear in mcc [...]

An easy way to install the kernel source is to run "urpmi $(uname -r)".
urpmi install the package. uname -r produces the kernel name you are running.

Using $(<commane>) runs <command> and feads the output to into the command line just as if you had typed it.

Thanks to both Hugh and Mikkel for your help. I found the correct kernel source on the CDs and installed it via the control center. Then I tried "urpmi $(uname -r)" and received as output many files names containing the string "kernel-2.6.8.1-12mdk". Does this output suggest that everything that was needed was successfully installed, or is it a list of choices of what is available yet to be installed?

Also, once the package is indeed installed, how do I find/recognize the kernel source _headers_?

Melissa

--
If it is committed in the name of God or country, there is no crime so
heinous that the public will not forgive it. -Tom Robbins, writer (1936- )