Derek Jennings wrote:
On Tuesday 22 February 2005 04:11, Dennis wrote:

Hi,

I want to setup a DHCP, Firewall and Proxy server. What do I need to
install first?

Thanks

Install drakwizard and your MandrakeControl Centre will have a new 'Server' section to allow you to install the DHCP and Proxy servers.

For the Firewall use the Mandrake GUI for the initial setup, but then use the shorewall firewall module in Webmin for more detailed setup.

(Install webmin, then start the webmin service in MandrakeControlCentre>System>Services, then point your browser to
https://localhost:10000 )

derek

As an add-on to Derek's suggestion (well, sort of anyway), once you complete the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard, you can shut down Shorewall and Squid (permanently if you like), and switch to webmin>
networking>Linux Firewall to maintain Internet Connection Sharing and your firewall.

For some of us (yes, me too), Linux Firewall is a lot less complex to manage, configure and maintain as long as you run Mandrake's ICS wizard first (and you only need to run it once). There seems to be a file located in /etc/sysconfig that is either modified or created when you run the ICS Wizard and that file makes ICS possible. I don't know which file it is, but then I normally don't have the time to find out.

Once it's created, it stays put and works with Linux Firewall or Shorewall. On a small network with a broadband Internet connection, you
might not want to use a proxy server (ie; Squid), and at least this gives you an option.

Shorewall is definitely strong, but it's also highly complex to administer (at least in webmin), while Linux Firewall can take only a few minutes to set up. Since Mandrake's Shorewall Wizard is over simplified, it leaves a lot of the configuration possibilities and permutations out of the Wizard.

As a direct opposite, IMHO, the webmin version of Shorewall can rapidly speed up your aging process. Linux Firewall allows you to set up a sophisticated firewall - one rule at a time, and like Shorewall, it will prevent you from starting a firewall which may have errors in it.

One of the nicest benefits of the Linux Firewall is your ability to transport that set of rules as one file, instead of a bunch of sub-folders and files, allowing you to use it on other Mandrake systems with only a few basic changes.

Again, it's only a question of choice. The good news is that you can play with both and decide which is best for you.

--
Mr. Geek
Registered Linux User #190712