On Sunday 06 March 2005 04:15 pm, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> Gentle folks,
>
> I want to migrate my company's intranet web site
> from Windows platform to Linux. At the moment I
> run that web on a W2k server and administer it
> from a W2k client (using MS FrontPage for editing
> HTM pages and Visual InterDev for ASP). I
> authenticate my users with a logon.asp page that
> looks into MS SQL Server database (on the same W2k
> server) having credentials of my users.
>
> What I want to do is to migrate that web server to
> MDK 9.1 platform that is already installed on the
> other disk (described in
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+WinNT.html). The next
> step would be to switch editing that web server by
> using the client box (also having MDK 9.1
> installed as the alternate OS). And, btw, I am not
> going to upgrade Mdk 9.1 with something newer,
> don't ask me why.
>
> So, what I am wondering now is:
>
> - Is it possible to run some Linux tool or
> something that is capable to 'import' the whole
> web site from Windows disk (both disks are SCSI
> disks of the same size) and to make the new Apache
> site operational quickly? If not, what would be
> the suitable solution (I wouldn't mind to keep W2k
> site there for a while, at least for a
> transitional period of time, until I get some
> proficiency of administering sites under Linux).
>
> - Are there some MDK 9.1 'from-the-box' editing
> tools for HTM(L) and ASP pages that I may use for
> remote web server administration and editing the
> content from my MDK 9.1 client box? If not, what
> would you suggest to look for? Btw, I run Mozilla
> 1.7.x under both Win and Lin environments - as the
> email client and web browser - but I don't have
> any idea about its Composer quality.
>
> - What to use instead of SQL Server - capable to
> authenticate the users in the similar manner as
> described above? Of course, instead of the ASP
> login pages, some other mechanism may be used.
>
> Regards,
>
> Misko
Misko, it has been a while since I did this, but, you should be able to take
all of the html pages, such as index.html, page1xx.html etc and
all .png, .gif, .jpg, etc save them to a CD or DVD and then install them all
in /var/www/html. Then start httpd and Apache should pick them  up and bingo
you are back on the internet with your web page.  Just as an aside though ,
if you used MS FrontPage to do the web site, it will not conform to the W3C
standards. Some browsers may not render it properly. It is not to bad to fix
if you use Quanta+ and revise some of the html a bit. HTH
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842