On Monday 07 March 2005 10:53, Marcus Davage wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm trying to convert a friend, who's built his own PC, from XP to Linux.
> So far, his experience with installing Mandrake 10.0 (the only version I
> had to lend him) has been good, except that he says he can't connect to the
> internet. He has an NTL cable modem. I've never had a problem downloading
> support for my ISA linmodem, but he's not a techie, and I've never used
> cable modems before. I'm trying hard to prevent him from crossing over to
> the dark side, but he thinks he needs XP to access the net. I thought the
> Mandrake installation wizard detected modems like that, but I doesn't think
> it has.
>
> Can anyone who has experience please suggest some questions/solutions I can
> ask/recommend to him?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Marcus

I am using NTL cable modem without any issue whatsoever.
If he is connecting with an Ethernet cable then all he has to do is run the
connect wizard and set it up for a LAN connection. He DOES NOT have to define
it as a "cable connection"  (I am not even sure what selecting 'cable
connection' does in the wizard, but whatever it is he does not need it)

He should set it to use DHCP and it will get its IP address from NTL and
automatically use NTLs DNS servers.

If he is using a USB cable to connect to his cable modem, then he will need to
use the 'usbnet' driver.

 Now I am not sure if this will be automatically loaded with Mandrake 10.0
because I have never needed to try it out.
I know the driver is present in 10.1
(in /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/net ), and I also know that
the LiveCD distribution PCLOS which is a Mandrake fork
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/index.html  will install the driver
automatically for an NTL modem because I installed it for a friend last month
with USB.

If Mandrake does not automatically detect the modem when usb connected then
put this line in /etc/modprobe.conf

alias eth0 usbnet

(Assuming there is not already another Ethernet port in the computer in which
case use eth1)
He should then be able to run the connection wizard and access the net.

He has nothing to lose but his chains.
Of course if he LIKES viruses, trojans, spyware, DRM....

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org