From: "Derek Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <newbie@linux-mandrake.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] CD sound

On Monday 07 March 2005 00:03, Teilhard Knight wrote:

The wiring is OK in the three computers. I can listen to CD music in other
OSs.

Teilhard

That is not proof the wiring is OK

Windows does not need the analogue cable since it reads audio CDs using the
IDE interface. So to save money many computer manufacturers omit the audio
cable.

The advice Kaj gave is good install xmms-cdread and configure xmms to read
audio CDs through IDE
See my page here
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/audio_cd.html

Thanks so much, Derek. As it happens there is a home theatre attached to one of my computers and it is configured for digital output only. I know this computer contain the cables properly plugged because I cloned it myself. About the other computers I haven't open, I do not know, but I believe you, and as a matter of fact I consider you solved my problem. I had a go with xmms, but I couldn't make it work. I'll have to do it following your instructions more carefully.

About the package I need to install, I get "bad signatures", but then again, in all computers and in all cases where I have wanted to install a package, I get this annoying "bad signatures" error. I install anyhow. Do you know what is happening here?

Sorry for my late reply, but I have been kind of busy. Best wishes and thanks for taking the time.

Teilhard