On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:50:12 -0500
"Mr. Geek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How do I prevent syslogd from showing events on the screen? Is it not
> normal to simply pass these events to the correct log file in /var/log
> ?

question, can you confirm that any of the messages being displayed on
the monitor *are also being logged* in /var/log/syslog ?

I also had this problem on our server after playing around with vlan -
although I couldn't put my finger on it that vlan or possibly vclient
IRC could have even had anything to do with it.  Logged myself (the only
user) off, and noticed the messages kept coming.  Seemed to only be
firewall hit messages were showing up on the screen though.

My M$ infliction - which doesn't seem to go away since I have to
work with it everyday - kicked in about now and my uncontrollable urge
to reboot overtook me. ;(

the messages went away after that and I never bothered going back to
figure it out.