Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
One thing I forgot to put in the last message - the changes you make in /etc/syslog.conf will not take affect untill you restart syslog. Normaly, I would run "service syslog restart" to do this. But you may have to fix what ever is wrong in /etc/sysconfig/syslog first. Or you can try renameing it to syslog.sav, and then restart syslog. The syslog script will work just fine without the /etc/sysconfig/syslog file - it check for the file, and if it isn't there, it uses some good default values in place of it.

Mikkel

Mikkel, That did the trick! I had already restarted syslogd and even though it started there was an error code.

Renaming the /etc/sysconfig/syslog file did the trick. It restarted without errors and there's nothing happening on the monitor.

I'd love to know how the file got modified, but I may never find out. Thanks for sticking with me on this! Have you heard of this happening before?

There's nothing in the logs about it being modified and I'm the only one with access. My firewall logs have no record of anyone getting and modifying anything, and none of the firewall logs are missing.

If you have a default /etc/sysconfig/syslog file could you send it to me for comparison? I'd like to find the differences between the two files.

Thanks again for the help.

--
Mr. Geek
Registered Linux User #190712