On Sunday 13 March 2005 15:46, SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Little bit by little bit this system is beginning to work.
>
> As some of you may recall I set this box up with a data storage partation
> of /mnt/System_Data.
>
> >From a operation perspective I have found that using a separate partition
> > for
>
> data is much safer than storing data under any Linux normal partition
> like /home as it allows one to install, upgrade, and repair systems with
> lower probability of data loss.
>
> This system being different though I did not  set it up as I normally do
> and mount the data partition to /home/<user>/<data partition> this has lead
> to a slight bit of confusion on my part.
>
> I attempted to set permissions on the data partition by modifying
> permission in
> root control center -> Security -> Permissions and then adding permission
> for <user> to access /mnt/System_Data
> This did not give me permission.

SNIP

This is not by any chance a FAT32 partition is it?

If so then you cannot change permissions because FAT32 has no attribute bits
you can change.

Instead you have to define pseudo attributes for the entire partition when you
mount it.

To set this
MandrakeControlCentre>Mount Points>Partitions
select the partition then
ToggletoExpert>Options

Select umask=0
That will force the permissions to 777 for all users.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org