SOTL wrote:
Hi All

Little bit by little bit this system is beginning to work.

As some of you may recall I set this box up with a data storage partation of /mnt/System_Data.

From a operation perspective I have found that using a separate partition for
data is much safer than storing data under any Linux normal partition like /home as it allows one to install, upgrade, and repair systems with lower probability of data loss.

This system being different though I did not set it up as I normally do and mount the data partition to /home/<user>/<data partition> this has lead to a slight bit of confusion on my part.

I attempted to set permissions on the data partition by modifying permission in root control center -> Security -> Permissions and then adding permission for <user> to access /mnt/System_Data
This did not give me permission.

My confusion comes about that I know that permission can be changed by command line [not performed yet as I forgot the commands and will have to look them up when I get home] in that either I did something wrong with setting permission or permission for a partition can not be set by use of the GUI procedure.

The second part of the issue is that in another box I have my data storage mounted as
/home/<user>/Common_Data which gives no permission issues that I know of if I use Konqueror as a file manager but if I use MidnightCommander I have issues exemplified by my moving a file from /home/<user>/<file name. to /home/<user>/Common_Data I will receive a red which says:
Cannot chmod target file "/home/<user>/<file name>
Operation not permitted
Skip Retry Abort

When I hit Skip or Abort I find that file has transferred.

I would appreciate what enlightenment into my root issue anyone may provide.

Thanks
Frank

Frank,
This sounds like you are copping to a FAT or VFAT partition. You can not change permissions on this type of partition like you would an ext2 or ext3 partition. You have to set the partitions when you mount the partition. (Or by remounting it with new permissions.)

For this type of partition, I normaly use something like

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noexec 0 0

in /etc/fstab.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!