Derek Jennings wrote:

On Sunday 13 March 2005 05:53, SnapafunFrank wrote:

Some time ago I got this working OK and only recently discovered that
the /etc/hosts file has been re-written ~ possible still more stuff left
over from the corruption of my .ICEauthority.

Here's what I posted to assist someone at the time in regards to OOo
opening slowly:

Quote:

mine reads:

    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
    127.0.0.1       Snapafun.localdomain    localhost
    127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        Snapafun
    127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        localhost

Now that's somewhat overkill and needs a clean up but it works.

End Quote:

Since this time I have installed and have running at present ADSL via
eth0. [ Dynamic with my ISP ]

I seem to recall that another entry was required here for that ~ anyone
know what that is supposed to be ?

Hopefully this exercise will speed my system up to what it was before
the .ICEauthority corruption.

/etc/hosts has nothing to do with .ICEauthority

You do not need to add anything when you go to ADSL

The /etc/hosts file is simply a list to match host names to IP addresses.
You did not need 4 separate lines, you could have just put
127.0.0.1 alias1 alias2 alias3 alias4 alias5   and so on...

When you refer to a host name in for example a browser url, your computer will check to see if it is the hosts table before it bothers to ask a DNS server what the IP address of that host is.

So if you try to browse to http://www.snapafun.con then your computer will immediately translate that as http://127.0.0.1

Thats all the /etc/hosts file does.
You would most commonly use the hosts table to identify the other computers in a small local network with static addressing.

derek

Thanks derek ~ in a nutshell and well understood ~ really simple really when it's explained like this ~ greatly appreciated.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213