sorry nicole, I thought I was sending this to the list.  :)

Subject: Re: [newbie] Possible alternative  format for forum
Date: Wednesday 16 March 2005 11:23 am
From: Julie Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Thursday 17 March 2005 03:24 am, Nicole Lewis wrote:
> While daily deleting unopened a large percentage of newbie
> correspondence<snip>
> Here, each thread is collated onto a single html page, which can include
> photos & drawings,
> so that one can read the sequence of contributions without wading past a
> clutter of repeating material.

It was a long time before I understood how to use filters and directories
 to my advantage.  My system (on KMail), which is not perfect but is
 perfectly simple, goes something like this:

if my name appears in a message, it stays in the inbox and filtering stops
(this way I get replies to my comments, even if I've forgotten I commented
on that thread)

if a message comes from a certain mailing list, it gets sorted into that
mailing list's folder, and filtering continues

I have another filter ("dump") which marks message read and moves it to the
trash, to which I add the subject line of any thread I have absolutely no
interest in (had seven threads in it at one time recently, coming from two
seperate mailing lists)

My inbox sorts message by date of arrival; my "mailing list" folders sort
 by thread.  This way I can see quickly if I need to add a thread to my
 "dump" filter

So far this has really helped manage the 300+ emails I get daily  :)

--
Julie