Hi Kaj,
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:14:13 +0100, you wrote:

>I've never come to grips with this.....U(seless) S(illy) B(ugger).

I was mystified by this problem because as far as I was aware I had
not done anything that could have changed the setup here (10.1 with
KDE).  It was working, then it wasn't :-((
So I persevered, exploring the possibilities of a problem with
connections.
The problem then became intermittent.  I have two USB cables,  one end
of each which fits the camera or the card reader.   One of those
cables has a clip-on ferrite bead at the end that has the smaller of
the two plugs.

I re-booted with the ferrite beaded cable plugged directly into the
motherboard at the back of the PC.
Plugged in the camera - magic :-)
Plugged in the card reader - magic :-)
Both auto sensing, no problem.

I guess the cables are not too well shielded and that maybe the
ferrite bead at the camera end prevents any stray capacitances from
getting onto the motherboard.

I like to use the card reader as a small file transporter between the
Windows box (upon which I'm still slightly dependant) and the Linux
box.

My dependency upon Windoze is because I still can't get the printer to
print landscape from Linux, and when I print photographs it's the
other way round !!!

I remember reading that Anne had some trouble with temperamental USB
connections - so maybe it's worth giving ferrite beads a try.
 --
Charles