On Friday 18 Mar 2005 14:08, Stephen Kühn wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 11:37, Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:
> > On Friday 18 Mar 2005 05:11, eric jackson wrote:
> > > I just wanted to alert people to Tux Magazine. I stumbled on a link to
> > > it somewhere. www.tuxmagazine.com. It is a free linux magazine
> > > distributed in PDF format aimed at new users. There is a lot of
> > > coverage of software, again aimed at the newbie. They are also looking
> > > for people to submit articles.  The first issue is on the website now.
> > >

> > > Eric Jackson
> >
> > Thanks for that link.  Looks just what I need to learn by doing projects.
> >
> > Rosemary
>
> One of the greatest means by which to learn is to attack your own linux
> box. Do things with it. Turn it into a mail server. Turn it into a
> webserver. A database server. Learn how to create backup scripts. Learn
> how to play with crontab entries and do things on schedule. Create
> simple scripts to do simple things. It's all good. Play with different
> window managers and desktops. Play with themes. Learn about burning
> different types of CD's. Ripping different kinds of CD's. Using
> different media players - the list goes on. It's a great learning
> experience and never be afraid to experiment.

To begin with I need to have some minor successes - even if they be by "point
and click'.  I want to use my system in ways that are appripriate to me -
which are basic home user ways.

Yes - I want to understand and be able to execute things in the CLI.  However
it is going to take time for me to learn that.  Sorry if I am such a dumb
kiwi who is only happy when has sheep backed against the fence.  Being a
townie I have no idea what you refer to!

cheers
Rosemary