On Saturday 19 Mar 2005 08:33, Elwyn wrote:
> Hiya Folks
>
> What I'd like to do is set up a shared area within our network that all our
> (family) music files are on, plus other bits and bobs, that will only share
> files for most of its hard drive.
>
> I've already got a working Samba place on this machine but I'm debating how
> to go about this.
>
> Basically the box wil be without monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. Just have
> power and network to it.
>
> However, the small problem I have is that as it is a closed secured network
> I don't want any username and passwords? Is that possible??
>
> Because one of the problems I have is any files created with one ID cannot
> be moved/deleted with another ID, or have I missed something fundemental
> out??

Using Groups it's possible to sort that problem.  Make sure that everyone is
in one group - either use User or create one for the purpose.  Then, in
konqueror, go to the folder that represents the whole of the shared area.  As
root, change the group to the chosen one and Set GID on the advanced
permissions page, then check Apply changes to all subdirectories and their
contents.  That should work.

Be aware, though, that you no longer have any kind of control over who does
what, so anything you value should be copied there, not moved there.

Anne
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels