Elwyn wrote:
Hiya Folks

What I'd like to do is set up a shared area within our network that all our (family) music files are on, plus other bits and bobs, that will only share files for most of its hard drive.

I've already got a working Samba place on this machine but I'm debating how to go about this.

Basically the box wil be without monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. Just have power and network to it.

However, the small problem I have is that as it is a closed secured network I don't want any username and passwords? Is that possible??

Because one of the problems I have is any files created with one ID cannot be moved/deleted with another ID, or have I missed something fundemental out??

Cheers, Elwyn

This all depends on how you set up the share. You can use the "force user" and "force group" options when defining the share so that all files will be owned by the same user/group. You may also want to set it up so that guests can read, but not create/change/delete files.

Another way would be to set up security = share instead of user. It isn't used as often, and I am not sure how well the GUI config tools work with it, but it is something to look into.

I prefer to leave security set to user, and the force user option. That way, you can still have private home shares for each user, but that is just me...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!