On Saturday 19 March 2005 01:59 pm, Tom wrote:
> Greg Meyer wrote:
> > Not to be too picky, but technically, rpm is deprecated and rpmbuild
> > --rebuild is preferred because it has been split into separate packages.
>
>      hmmm... tell me more.
>
> # rpm --rebuild mplayer-fonts-1.0-10mdk.src.rpm
>    ... <snip> ...
> Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/noarch/mplayer-fonts-1.0-10mdk.noarch.rpm

Yes, I didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it is deprecated in favor of
rpmbuild, although this has been explained much more clearly than I did by
Mikkel in another post, so no use re-iterating.

> > Just as a general rule it is not a good idea to compile src.rpms as root,
> > because if the buildroot variable is not set, the package will actually
> > get installed on your machine, so as a habit, it is safer to setup the
> > RPM dir in ~/ and build as user.  Mandrake is very good about this, but
> > occasionally you get a 3rd party packager that forgets to set this and
> > It's just a good habit. and you can bork the system.
>
>     Two schools, an I'm in the other one ;)  'Sides the OP did cite
> a Mandrake rpm.  More important to me would be direct newbies to
> always use Mandrake rpms, src.rpms included, to procure wanted apps
> or dependencies.  More over to disdain corrupting their systems with
> anything 3rd party (includin drivers an apps, rpms or tarballs).
> Build as user all you want, but if you install closed source binary
> only taints on it, the precaution to only build rpms (or tarballs
> for that matter) as user is sort'a moot, borderin on ridiculous.

Well, my philosophy is to inform people of the potential risks and let them
make their own decisions.  So instead of saying "go ahead, do this, it works
for me," I prefer to say "these are the two ways of doing it and there are
potential pitfalls of doing it one of those ways."  Then let the user make an
informed choice.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just helpful by providing good information
and making a clarification where I thought it would be helpful.
--
/g