James Henry Maiewski wrote:
On Saturday 19 March 2005 3:50 pm, Tom wrote:

   Now, James, when you installed the system did you select
"Development" ?  Without those additions to your system you probly
can't compile anything.

    Other questions:  are you just doin all this as an exercise?
an why don't you just use Mandrakes' pre-compiled packages for
kdeutils?   IOW's, what are you tryin to accomplish?

Hello,

I have the Mandrake 6-disc set, so I have these binaries, and don't need to compile anything. Having just successfully 'hatched' kdeutils...src.rpm (I downloaded a new one), with rpmbuild [thanks to all of you, and I certainly didn't intend to set off any controversy. I'll have to read these man pages)

Inasmuch as I doesn't really have a prayer of understanding C++, or the maze of linked header files, etc. (most of my programing knowledge in Linux and C comes from "Learning C in 28 days") this was all an exercise. Its genesis comes from my fondness of Kedit. It seems like a really simple program, and I thought that it might be possible to change the behavior of its Tab key (i.e., how many spaces are printed when tab is presses." So far in this exercise, I've discovered .kcfg files (hence Kcfgcreator, hence unsermake) and now rpmbuild, and kconfig_compiler, kconfigskeleton.h and kconfig.h (and I still haven't found anything that says "main"). As expected, I'm not really more enlightened as concerns my original goal, but I'm having fun.

If you have any suggestions about books to teach the neophyte about program development (I know no 'object oriented' stuff, and am shaky on all the libs etc.)

You may want to start with something other then part of the KDE "family". While Kate may be a simple program, I don't think building anything that is part of the KDE desktop is simple. This is because of the high level of intergration between the different parts. On the other hand, it definitly will be a learning experence.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!