On Wednesday 23 March 2005 19:38, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Is it possible to successfully change the kernel on Mandrake 10.1  64 bit
> from 2.6 to 2.4.
>
> I do know that 2.4 modules run my scanner whereas the 2.6 will not run
> module dmx3191d.
>
> Is there a downside to doing this.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Malcolm Candlish.

Yes you can quite easily.

With your Software Install GUI enter kernel in the search box
You will see a list of available kernels. Install the 2.4 kernel.

It will become the default kernel. Your 2.6 kernel will still be available in
the lilo menu.
If you want to change the default kernel use the Boot GUI in Mandrake Control
centre.

Note the 2.4 kernel loads its modules according to /etc/modules.conf, while
the 2.6 kernel uses /etc/modprobe.conf so you must ensure both files are set
up correctly.

If you have an Nvidia video card and use the proprietary driver you will have
to compile it for each kernel version (using the correct kernel-source)

My own scanner does not work with the 2.6 kernel so I have to boot with 2.4
whenever I want to use it.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net