On Tuesday 29 Mar 2005 20:49, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 Mar 2005 23:16, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 March 2005 19:38, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> > > Hi ,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to successfully change the kernel on Mandrake 10.1  64
> > > bit from 2.6 to 2.4.
> > >
> > > I do know that 2.4 modules run my scanner whereas the 2.6 will not run
> > > module dmx3191d.
> > >
> > > Is there a downside to doing this.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your time.
> > >
> > > Malcolm Candlish.
> >
> > Yes you can quite easily.
> >
> > With your Software Install GUI enter kernel in the search box
> > You will see a list of available kernels. Install the 2.4 kernel.
> >
> > It will become the default kernel. Your 2.6 kernel will still be
> > available in the lilo menu.
> > If you want to change the default kernel use the Boot GUI in Mandrake
> > Control centre.
> >
> > Note the 2.4 kernel loads its modules according to /etc/modules.conf,
> > while the 2.6 kernel uses /etc/modprobe.conf so you must ensure both
> > files are set up correctly.
> >
> > If you have an Nvidia video card and use the proprietary driver you will
> > have to compile it for each kernel version (using the correct
> > kernel-source)
> >
> > My own scanner does not work with the 2.6 kernel so I have to boot with
> > 2.4 whenever I want to use it.
> >
> > derek
>
> Thank you Derek. This seems to be a logical way forward and I downloaded
> the new kernel as you suggested. It went very smoothly.
>
> However, I still get an insmod problem, which you may have dealt with. This
> is with the new 2.4 kernel. It is as follows and if you have any ideas
> please let me know.

Since writing this mail, part of the problem has been solved by changing
permissions to 777 and making files executable. However, after insmod (ing)
the  module the scanner starts normally but goes into total computer crash
after about 10 seconds. Does anyone know a good way to check for IRQ conflict
or have any other suggestion a to why it crashes.

The change of kernel truly surprised me by its straight forwardness and if
other Lister's cannot get hardware to work with 2.6 would advise them to try
2.4. Mandrake is extraordinarily versatile.

Malcolm Candlish.