OOzy Pal wrote:
Dears

I am using Athlon 1.3 GHz and I would like to upgrade
to Celeron 2.4 GHz. Is it worth it. I mean will I see
a difference. Someone said the the 1.3 will perform
better with Linux do to the Cache. Please help.

Your AMD 1.3 vs. a Celery is a toss up in synthetic benchmarks. Which usually have nothin to do with real world performance, any OS. The 'someone' that cited caches is right. There's another aspect, which is Mboards' chipset. Here again you're better off with the AMD cpu if you're usin it in conjunction with a VIA or SiS chipset on a decent Mboard. The cpu is no better than the motherboard. With Linux this is particularly true. Windoze based/designed for systems like nForce* an Cyrix (C-*), should be avoided.

IMO, you're on the cusp. If you need to upgrade your choices are either to go with 3+ Ghz 32 bit AMD/VIA, or go for a 64bit system, also AMD. My impression is that 64 bit an the OS'/apps for it have a ways to go for maturity. I'd venture in another year 64bit would be a better choice. It is afterall, inevitable.

You really need to give specs for your current system, an how you use it, for more concise appraisals. The motherboard you're usin is as, or more important than the cpu. As is ram (brand, cas/latency, banking, etc.) and presupposes a good quality power supply.

Then you can also tailor Linux to your hardware. For instance, I'm usin 2.6.11-6mdkK74g preempt K7 gcc-3.4 (compiled for Athlon, preempt enabled, > 4gig ram ) an find it to be much more responsive than 2.6.8 or 2.6.10 kernels compiled the same way. On a 3+Ghz Athlon, VIA KT600, 1GB 2.5CL 4-bank ram system, mildly overclocked. Mostly optimizations are only seen in compiling, an re-de-encoding of large files (which I do a lot of).

Regards,
OOzy

What is the purpose of life?

42 ?