On Saturday 26 March 2005 09:32 pm, Tom wrote:
| OOzy Pal wrote:
| > Dears
| >
| > I am using Athlon 1.3 GHz and I would like to upgrade
| > to Celeron 2.4 GHz. Is it worth it. I mean will I see
| > a difference. Someone said the the 1.3 will perform
| > better with Linux do to the Cache. Please help.
|
|      Your AMD 1.3 vs. a Celery is a toss up in synthetic benchmarks.

|       You really need to give specs for your current system, an how
| you use it, for more concise appraisals.  The motherboard you're
| usin is as, or more important than the cpu.  As is ram (brand,
| cas/latency, banking, etc.) and presupposes a good quality power
| supply.
|
|      Then you can also tailor Linux to your hardware. For instance,
| I'm usin  2.6.11-6mdkK74g preempt K7 gcc-3.4  (compiled for Athlon,
| preempt enabled, > 4gig ram ) an find it to be much more responsive
| than 2.6.8 or 2.6.10 kernels compiled the same way. On a 3+Ghz
| Athlon, VIA KT600, 1GB 2.5CL 4-bank ram system, mildly overclocked.
| Mostly optimizations are only seen in compiling, an re-de-encoding
| of large files (which I do a lot of).
|
| > Regards,
| > OOzy

Also, keep in mind that fast chips are bogged down by low-memory vid cards.
CPU power is worth something, but waiting for the graphical interface to
render is what makes a system seem to be slow.  Unless you are shelling out
$$$ for a high-mem video card,  the real differences (as Tom wrote) are what
you can't see--compiling and such.