Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

Warnings well heeded. I am almost too scared to do anything in Mandrake now - no just kidding.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]# fdisk /dev/hda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4865.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
  (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Please understand my notes to your table here. Is this what you were after? Strictly your call here.

    [ Franks approx partition sizes ]
/dev/hda1   *           1        2364    18988798+   7  HPFS/NTFS
[19gig ]
/dev/hda2            2423        4865    19623397+   5  Extended
[20gig ]
/dev/hda5            2423        3186     6136798+  83  Linux
 [6gig] ~ [ This is your root partition ]
/dev/hda6            4808        4854      377496   83  Linux
    [350MB ]
/dev/hda7            4855        4865       88326   82  Linux swap
[82MB ]
/dev/hda8            3187        3326     1124518+  82  Linux swap
[1.1gig ]
/dev/hda9            3327        4807    11896101   83  Linux
  [12gig - wow, wish I could afford this much] ~ [ This is your /home partition
]

Partition table entries are not in disk order

I can breathe now I am out of fdisk!

regards
Rosemary

OK Rosemary, I need to study this a little but for now see what I see.

You have a 40gig hard drive:

You have 7 ( note ~ seven ) partitions:

You have only 1 primary partition ~ you ought to have 3 but not essential: more about this later.

You have only 1 ( one ) logic partition ~ you are allowed up to 16 last I heard:

You therefore have 1 ( all you are allowed I believe ) extended partition ~ it is within this partition that you have your logic partitions:

You have 2 swap partitions ~ no idea why you have two when one is enough especially when one of them appears huge.

( Don't mind me rambling on here ~ I'm working out loud.)

Generally the rules here are:

No more than 4 primary partitions with only one of them being made an extended partition in which you can have up to 16 logic ( LBA ) partitions.

You can have as many swap partitions as you like though usually one is enough.

Partition numbering is:
primary 1 ~ 4 ( includes the extended partition )
With LBA partitions numbering 5 ~ say 16

The only partitions you have correct here are:

/dev/hda1 *  [ Your WinXP partition and the * means it is bootable ]
/dev/hda1     [ One of  your swap partitions and I say this is correct because
it appears to be of the correct size ~ Usually no more than 1.5 times your RAM
size if it is under 512MB ]

Now lets take your df printf: [ printf is syntax for echo or in other words ~
what you see returned to the screen when you issue a command seeking info. ]

/dev/hda5             5.8G  1.7G  3.9G  30% /        [ My rough math for the
above table isn't to far off here afterall.]

/dev/hda9              12G  170M   12G   2% /home [ You must work out what you
really will be using here because this is far to big at present  ~  only 170MB
of 12000MB used so far.]

SO.............

Your WinXP partition does not get mounted when you boot up ~ you may prefer
this but fstab has it entered.

Your hda6 partition doesn't get mounted so we need to discover which directory
this relates to. [ See below ]

Your hda8, in my opinion is just wasted space at present.

Please try this:

Go K>>Configure Your Desktop>>Partitions and tell me what you see there. If there is more there than /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda9, ( should at least be /dev/hda7 and /dev/hda8 ),
then please make a note of what partitions are there AND what there sizes are, ( Usually in megabytes ~ [ MB ] ), as this will save having to work out partition sizes using the
number of blocks reported by the fdisk command. { Went back and did that anyway but am still curious ]

Another thing to do is to mount that /dev/hda6 partition to find out what it is. So do as su:

# mkdir /mnt/hda6
# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 [ If this gives you errors then stop here and let me know what those errors are. ]
# cd /mnt/hda6
# ls Look at any directories listed here ( other than lost & found ) and tell me what they are please.

Not trying to crowd you so will stop here and await your replies.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213