Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

On Monday 28 Mar 2005 15:00, SnapafunFrank wrote:

Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

Hello Frank

Thanks for that vote of confidence!
No joy with df ...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]$ /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt
bash: /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt: No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]$ su
Password:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]# df /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt
df: `/home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt': No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]# exit

Tried to do the attachments as requested.  The only /etc/udev/udev is
the .conf.  I can't attach the /etc/udev/permission.d and can't see a
/etc/udev/udev/permission

The files don't all match your requests.  I've included old lilo
seeing as it is there.  The rules is /etc/udev/rules.d

Hope this makes sense.

Rosemary

My second reply to this one .... sorry about that but needed to get the
first part done.

As to your attachments, these I can use and will study them but know
they are mostly mandrake specific generated files and do not follow the
usual udev conventions: more for me to learn 'cause I will properly face
this setup myself when I upgrade.

One thing stands out immediately:

Within your 00-mdk.rules file is a section for sound devices:

There is no mention here of " Alsa " at all, yet this is where things
are usually initiated and I am surprised by " Alsa's " absence.

You might want to start a thread at newbie@linux-mandrake.com about this.
That is: alsa hangs the system during bootup and that it being missing
from this file: Ask if this is normal?

I booted with ALSA disabled - but I guess there should still be an entry?

Yes.... we will need to rely on someone knowledgeable with alsa things to help with this one but you may wish to search for " set up alsa howto ".

Let us know if you find anything.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213