Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

On Monday 28 Mar 2005 14:47, SnapafunFrank wrote:

Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

Hello Frank

Thanks for that vote of confidence!
No joy with df ...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]$ /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt
bash: /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt: No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]$ su
Password:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]# df /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt
df: `/home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt': No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]# exit

Tried to do the attachments as requested.  The only /etc/udev/udev is
the .conf.  I can't attach the /etc/udev/permission.d and can't see a
/etc/udev/udev/permission

The files don't all match your requests.  I've included old lilo
seeing as it is there.  The rules is /etc/udev/rules.d

Hope this makes sense.

Rosemary

You missed the most important part Rosemary: Compare to two commands below:

$ df    /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt          [ Your closet command to
my request ]

$ df    >    /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt      [ The correct command ~
notice the greater than symbol ]

This is how [ whenever it is possible to do so ] we put the output of a
command ( in this case $ df ) to a text file instead
of printing it directly to the screen. This makes/overwrites a text file
at the location ( path ) you choose.

An extension of this is to use two greater than symbols " >> " and this
will add to the text file rather than overwrite it.

Hope this becomes a useful tool for you to use.

In fact I had tried it both ways, and have tried again.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]$ df > /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rosemary]$ df >  /home/rosemary/Desktop/df.txt

On the first ocassion, some while ago, I got syntax error when I put the greater than sign in.

Rosemary

Well, I just tried it by highlighting and copy then pasting it into konsole just as you have reported it back here and on my desktop I now have
the df.txt file ( changed rosemary to frank of course.

Something else to fix because this is a great tool for sharing your problems AND for making text files of your files before you make alterations.

In a previous post you sent me the output of df so I have that info at least and is why I have asked for the fdisk stuff.

Try cd~ing to the Desktop and see if all the directories exist as to /home/rosemary/Desktop/

It may well be that there is something different here.

*Er.... if either of the commands simply returned you directly to the prompt without doing anything then check your Desktop....
the file ( df.txt ) may actually be there.......*

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213