On Tuesday 05 April 2005 04:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 Apr 2005 01:11, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > So, when someone suggests that a Linux app be coded to provide the same
> > false sense of security to users, when there are myriad choices of real
> > firewalls as well as methods to lock the system down that are not
> > trivially bypassed, some of us simply don't take the suggestion
> > seriously.
>
> I think what people really want is something like a dialogue box on any
> dial-out from an application that gives the option of
>
> this session
> always
> never
>
> so that they can block automatic dial outs but allow genuine ones.

An app that knows the difference between these two things?  That's not asking
for much now, is it?  If I could build such a thing, nobody on this group
could afford it, Cisco and the other router manufacturers would be in a
bidding war to buy it for themselves.

> So far
> many people have said that iptables rules should be used, but no-one has
> actually shown that it can be done - at least they hadn't up to last night.
> I haven't finished reading this morning.

This has really been covered previously, Anne.  If you, as a user, can
allow/deny packets, then a rogue process that you installed on your machine
can do the same thing for its own packets.  It need merely know HOW to do so.
If you have a single personal firewall-like app for Linux, that problem is
solved.  If you install such an app and count on it to protect you from
insecure software, you are living in a fool's paradise.

Again, I don't have any problem with someone coding this, nor with running it,
I simply don't see the point.  It is "Windows" dressing, nothing more.
--
Bryan Phinney